Ayurvedic Treatment for Hypertension- Hypertension (known as Rakta Gata Vata in Ayurveda) is the elevated pressure of the blood in the arteries. The increase in blood pressure depends on a person’s age, sex, physical and mental activities, family history, and diet. Normal blood pressure of a healthy adult individual is 120 mmHg systolic and 80 mmHg diastolic.
Causes of Hypertension
According to Ayurveda, the following are the general types of imbalances responsible for most chronic conditions, including hypertension:
- Toxins are accumulating in tissues and blocking circulation.
- Poor nutrition.
- Poor digestion.
- The Imbalance of the nervous system.
- The accumulation, of physical and mental stress.
- Lowering of natural resistance and immunity.
- Disruption of natural biological rhythms.
- Unhealthy diet and sedentary lifestyles are the chief causes of hypertension today
- Impaired digestion leads to accumulation of Ama (toxins), which further lead to the high blood pressure. The food we eat is digested by our digestive fire (jatharagni) to produce nutrient plasma. This plasma nourishes all other dhatus (body tissues) and aids in the production of healthy blood, which circulates all over the body through various channels (srotas).
- Consumption of high-fat and low-fiber diet, excessive intake of tea, coffee, and refined foods, etc.
- Pain at the back of the neck.
- Dizziness or vertigo
Ayurvedic View for hypertension
The Ayurvedic line of treatment for hypertension is aimed at identifying the root cause of the condition and then administering herbs that can eradicate the problem from its roots. For this to happen, it is imperative that digestion is improved and the digestive fire is strengthened. Secondly, the toxins that have already accumulated in the heart channels have to be eliminated. And lastly, mind relaxation techniques – Including meditation, yoga, and Pranayama – are recommended to ensure that the mind remains calm and stable.
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Avoid meat, eggs, table salt, pickles, tea, and coffee.
- Avoid smoking as it increases heart rate.
- Increase use of garlic, lemon, parsley, Indian gooseberry (Amla), watermelon, grapefruit, skim milk and cottage cheese.
- Regular exercise is one of the best ways to lower blood pressure; brisk walking, jogging, swimming, and athletics are good options.
- Laughter is the best medicine, as it relieves stress and anxiety, which are the main causes of high blood pressure in today’s lifestyle.
Home Remedies for hypertension
- Make a juice of 3-4 garlic cloves, 10-12 basil leaves, and one- fourth cup of wheat grass. Have once a day.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of onion juice with an equal amount of honey. Take once a day for one week. Upon noticing improvement, continue for several more days.
- Mix 1 gm of garlic paste with a glass of buttermilk. Drink this buttermilk twice a day.
- Grind 10 gm of roasted watermelon seeds. Add the powder to 2 cups of water and boil for about 15 minutes. Strain the liquid and consume daily in the morning and evening.
Panchkarma treatment for hypertension
Internal treatments (Antah-Parimarjana)
Panchakarma or Ayurvedic cleansing (detoxification) treatments are a must in throwing away the unnecessary morbid Dosha’s and Mala’s from the system so as to re-establish the heart health and cure Hypertension and Cardiac disorders.
Virechana or therapeutic Purgation is an ideal way of controlling and eliminating the morbid Pitta (Kapha) and associated Vayu. Virechana also corrects the metabolism and provides lightness to the body. The blocks in the body cells and blood vessels will be removed. The functions including heart functions will be resuscitated. Virechana also removes the morbidity of blood and restores blood health.
Vasti (Medicated Enemas) – This is an unparalleled treatment to control Vayu which is the chief causative factor in Hypertension. If Vayu is controlled the other things will be put in place, and the health will be restored.
Raktamokshana – Bloodletting therapy is used to let out the contaminated blood and to relieve blocks in circulation. This further aids in free circulation, reestablishment of heart and circulatory functions and relief from peripheral resistance. This was used as a remedy for Rakta Dushti Janya Vikara’s (Diseases caused due to contamination or morbidity of blood tissue) and is rarely administered now days.
Bahir Parimarjana (External therapies):
Takra Shiro Dhara – This is a special treatment from the home of Ayurveda in relieving Hypertension. In this medicated buttermilk will be poured in streams on a shaved scalp while the patient sleeps on the Dhara table in supine position. The treatment is carried on for a period of 35-45 minutes.
Ksheera Dhara – This is a similar method like Takra Dhara. Here the medicated milk shall be poured in streams not only on the head but also on the whole body.
Taila Dhara – Medicated oil is used for pouring on the body and head in streams. (Other forms like Shiro Pichu – Keeping cotton pieces dipped in medicated oil on the scalp and tying it in place, Shiro Vasti – Pooling of medicated oil in a cabin created on the head, etc are also used alternatively)
Shiro Lepa – Application of medicated pastes of herbs on the scalp
Avagaha – Tub bath in medicated oil (Sitz bath)
Ayurvedic Herbs used in treatment for hypertension.
- Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina)
- Garlic (Allium sativum)
- Arjun (Terminalia arjuna)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Bala ( Sida cordifolia)
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
- Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
- Jatamansi ( Nardostachys jatamansin)
- Gotukola (Centella asiatica)
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
Classical Ayurvedic Medicines treatment for hypertension-
- Sarpagandha vatti
- Sarpagandha churna
- Brahmi vatti
- Giloy satva
- Punarnavaadi mandoor
- Muktasukti Bhasma
- Mukta Pisti
- Prawal Pisti
Deep Ayurveda patent medicine for hypertension:-
- Nervocare Herbal Capsule
- Giloy Herbal Capsule
- Arjun Herbal Capsule
- Heart Care Tea
- Punarnava Capsule
- Ashwagandha Herbal Capsule
- Triyog Herbal Capsule
For more detail on hypertension ayurvedic treatment please visit our nearest clinic or want to cosult with Dr. Baldeep Kour write us at email@example.com